Silver Point Restaurant
The ancient mariner
2006-08-30 18:36:20 UTC
Silver Point Restaurant on 72 in Madison, Anyone have anything pro or con??
Bo Williams
2006-08-30 21:40:50 UTC
Post by The ancient mariner
Silver Point Restaurant on 72 in Madison, Anyone have anything pro or con??
We've been once. It was fine. Pleasant atmosphere, reasonable prices,
and competent service. I had a seafood pasta situation that was tasty,
but a little runny. Lea had a spicy chicken dish that was good.

It's not fabulous, but neither is it offputting. It's a nice enough
place for a grown-up dinner. We like Pauli's more for the purpose, but
it's also more expensive. Silver Point isn't priced much differently
than a stuff-on-the-wall place, IIRC.
Bo Williams - ***@hiwaay.net
Nobody
SourMash
2006-08-31 14:00:10 UTC
Post by The ancient mariner
Silver Point Restaurant on 72 in Madison, Anyone have anything pro or con??
We've been twice: once right after they opened and then again this
spring.

The first time we were very displeased. The food was not worth the
price -- it was pretentious and there were relatively few choices. And
the portions were even small! We shared an appetizer and each had a
meal, but we both left a little hungry!

Worst of all the tables were way too close, and, considering the
arrangement (one long bench with tables every few feet), it made for a
very awkward experience. You really got to know your neighbors, even if
you were trying to have an intimate, romantic meal.

But we chalked a lot of it up to new place kinks and tried again after
a while, and we liked it much better. The tables had been shifted a bit
to get you a little further from your neighbors, and we were lucky that
the place was simply less crowded than before.

At that time, they had several additional menu items -- it was Italian
month or something -- and there were several new items that looked
appealing. What I had was absolutely delicious and the Husband was
really pleased with his, too.

The service was great. The food was really good, and not so
outlandishly expensive for what we had, and we will probably go back
again some time.
Jon
2006-08-31 17:10:21 UTC
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:36:20 -0500, "The ancient mariner"
Post by The ancient mariner
Silver Point Restaurant on 72 in Madison, Anyone have anything pro or con??
I went there with a girlfriend last year on Valentines Day. The food
was good with a woman playing piano in the background. It was a
little "dressier" than I thought it might be. I had heard that it was
"casual" but perhaps it was just the occasion. I also didn't feel
that it was prohibitively expensive but that might have been the
occasion as well.
I think I actually tried to call for reservations but because of the
holiday, they weren't taking reservations, just first come first
serve. I didn't have any problem getting in, but I noticed that not
long after we arrived, several people were having to wait for tables.
It gave me the impression of being much nicer than I"m used to. Of
course, any resturant without a drive-through is nicer than I'm
accustomed to frequenting.
The chef came to our table and asked how we enjoyed our selection
which was certainly a little different. Surly fast food workers I'm
accustomed to, have never inquired how my Big Mac was..my date was
impressed, but then we don't get out much..

My impresson was that it was nice..but for me, something I'd save for
a special occasion and not just a substitute for pizza night.
The ancient mariner
Melissa
2006-09-02 02:34:24 UTC
Post by The ancient mariner
Silver Point Restaurant on 72 in Madison, Anyone have anything pro or con??
It depends on what you are looking for. I really liked the upholstery. I
liked the table cloths. I liked the towering bamboo in the gigantic vase
thingies and have coveted them. Not a place to take the kids. I have been
3X. Prime Rib sandwich was good.

Evans A Criswell
2006-09-15 15:30:30 UTC
Post by The ancient mariner
Silver Point Restaurant on 72 in Madison, Anyone have anything pro or con??
I went there on my birthday when a couple of friends took me out to dinner
back in August. We'd gone to Ruby Tuesday on Hwy. 72 in Madison. They'd
been going to that one since they hadn't changed to the new "bare-bones"
menu they don't like. Well, they'd changed the menu. One of them said,
"Do you want to try Silver Point next door?" So we got up (we hadn't
ordered our drinks yet or anything) and walked over to Silver Point and
had a really good dinner.

It's a very upscale-looking restaurant but they have items ranging in price
from under $10 to on up in the 20s. I ordered a chicken and pasta dish that
was $12.99 (relatively cheap compared to some other things on the menu) and
the portion was large and the quality was excellent.

I'd definitely go back to Silver Point.